The Toyota Sequoia was introduced into the Toyota lineup in 1998 as a full-size SUV and remains popular to this day. The Sequoia is known for its unique styling and for having the features consumers have come to expect from SUVs, including a tow bar. ButWhat is the towing capacity of a 2019 Toyota Sequoia?
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia can tow up to 7,400 pounds when properly equipped.
The towing capacity of the 2019 Toyota Sequoia may vary due to a few different factors like engine size, transmission and others which we will discuss below.
There's a little more to know about your Toyota Sequoia towing features that we'll cover in today's guide.
Toyota Sequoia 2019 Towing Capacity
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia can tow between 7,000 pounds and 7,400 pounds, depending on the trim level and whether it's 2WD or 4WD.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with 2WD can tow 7,400 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia SR5 four-wheel drive can tow 7,100 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia TRD Sport with 2WD can tow 7,400 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia TRD Sport all-wheel drive can tow 7,100 pounds.
The 2019 4WD Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro can tow 7,100 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia Limited with 2WD can tow 7,400 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia Limited four-wheel drive can tow 7,100 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia Platinum with 2WD can tow 7,200 pounds.
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia Platinum all-wheel drive can tow 7,000 pounds.
You can consult our guideToyota Sequoia towing capacity per yearIf you are looking for the maximum capacity of another model year or want to compare different build years of this vehicle.
Here's a video showing the Toyota Sequoia undergoing a real-world towing test with an Airstream trailer:
Toyota Sequoia 2019 tow table
Use the table below to find out how much you can tow with your 2019 Toyota Sequoia.
|Toyota Sequoia trim level||towing capacity||2x4 or 4x4|
|SR5||7400 pounds / 3356 kg||2WD|
|SR5||7100 pounds / 3220 kg||4x4|
|TRD-Sport||7400 pounds / 3356 kg||2WD|
|TRD-Sport||7100 pounds / 3220 kg||4x4|
|Pro TRD||7100 pounds / 3220 kg||4x4|
|Limited||7400 pounds / 3356 kg||2WD|
|Limited||7100 pounds / 3220 kg||4x4|
|platinum||7200 pounds / 3265 kg||2WD|
|platinum||7,000 pounds / 3,175 kg||4x4|
2019 Toyota Sequoia with Brakes vs. towing capacity without brake
All vehicles have different towing capacities depending on whether or not you are towing a trailer with trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop more quickly than if the vehicle were using only the brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so the towing capacity with brakes is always greater than the towing capacity without brakes. .
2019 Toyota Sequoia Brake Towing Capacity: Up to 7,400 lbs.
2019 Toyota Sequoia Unbraked Towing Capacity: 3,500 lbs.
2019 Toyota Sequoia towing factors
There are several factors that affect the towing ability of the 2019 Toyota Sequoia, which we will discuss below.
You can also continue reading our guide.what constitutes the towing capacity of a vehicleknow all aspects related to it.
An engine option is available for all 2019 Sequoia trim levels, and it's a 5.7-liter V8 engine.
It is engine produced381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque.
Toyota trim levels vary, with all trim levels having access to the same engine size.
Even so, each trim level has its own unique trailer cover.
For example, the 2019 Sequoia 2WD SR5 has the same engine as the 2019 Sequoia 2WD Capstone, but the SR5 can tow 240 pounds more.
2x4 or 4x4
Whether your Sequoia is 2WD or 4WD affects how far you can pull.
Standard Sequoia models with 2WD drivetrains can generally tow more weight than 4WD models.
number of passengers
An important factor in calculating your vehicle's towing capacity is the number of passengers you are hauling, which counts directly in your vehicle's gross weight rating.
This applies to all vehicles, not just the 2019 Toyota Sequoia. So always consider the total load of your passengers and equipment in addition to what you are towing.
2019 Toyota Sequoia Towing Package Information
Does Toyota Sequoia have towing package?
All trim levels of the current Toyota Sequoia come standard with a factory-installed tow hitch.
Toyota offers an optional factory-installed Sequoia towing package called the Tow Technology Package.
Can a tow bar be fitted to a 2019 Toyota Sequoia?
If you want to tow something with your Toyota Sequoia, you will need a towbar and wiring harness.
Depending on what you are towing, you will need a ball mount (also known as a hitch) so that you can attach items to tow.
Make sure you get the right one.tow ball sizethat fits your hitch and trailer.
Toyota Sequoia 2019 tow bar
Type trailer hitchesdifferent types of tow barswhich are designed for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Toyota Sequoia uses a Class 3 or Class 4 tow bar.
Here's a great option for a Class IIItoyota sequoia tow bar:
CURT 13440 Class 3 Tow Bar 2" Toyota Sequoia Black Selected Receiver
- RELIABLE STRENGTH. This hitch is rated for 5,000 pounds. Gross trailer weight, 500 lbs. Tongue weight, 6,500 pounds. weight distribution capacity and 650 lbs. Nose weight distribution (limited to lowest rated gear component)
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This Class 3 Tow Bar equips your vehicle with a standard 2" x 2" hitch bracket, allowing for a variety of towing options. Can hold a ball rack, roof rack, bike rack, tow bar and more
- FULLY TESTED. Every CURT Class 3 towbar design is tested in real vehicle conditions at our engineering facility in Detroit. Replacement clutches are tested to SAE J684 standards for maximum safety during shipment.
- Rust, chips, UV RESISTANT. This tow bar is protected with a unique double layer of rust resistant Liquid A-Coat and a highly durable black powder coat finish. Both surfaces are cured together for exceptional resistance to oxidation, chipping and UV rays.
- EASY TO INSTALL. This towbar offers a custom factory fit for select Toyota Sequoia models.
Here's a great ball mount option that lets you attach different types of trailers to your Sequoia:
CURT 45148 hitch mount, 2-in. ball, pin, compatible with 1-1/4-in. receiver, 3,500 lbs., 3 1/4-in.
- RELIABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow a gross trailer weight of 3,500 pounds and a nose weight of 350 pounds, this ball hitch provides reliability for your trailer setup (weight capacity may change if the tow ball is removed). Fit: universal fit
- VERSATILE. This hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4" shank that fits into virtually any industry standard 1-1/4" receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4" drop, 2" diameter ball, 1/2" hitch pin hole and 7-1/4" overall length.
- READY TO TOW. It's easy to hitch your trailer with this ready-to-go hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-installed tow ball for easy hitching and a hitch pin to securely attach to your hitch receiver.
- CORROSION RESISTANT. For long-term use, this hitch ball is protected with a durable black powder coat finish and the tow ball has a polished chrome finish. These surfaces resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats.
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the hitch ball bracket into your vehicle, simply insert the rod into your vehicle's 1-1/4" hitch bracket. The rounded rod makes installation easy.
Toyota Sequoia 2019 towbar installation
If you're considering adding a hitch to your Sequoia, expect to pay $100-$200 to have a towing package professionally installed (not including the cost of the hitch and wiring harness).
If you're crafty and want to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and take proper safety precautions.
Here's a great video tutorial on how to install a Toyota Sequoia towbar:
Does my 2019 Toyota Sequoia have a towing package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Sequoia to see if you can see a hitch or hitch.
This gives you a good indication if you already have a trailer hitch installed on your Sequoia.
Another way to look into this is to check the documentation that came with the vehicle, or take it to a local dealership to see what's installed.
Be sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy when you call the dealer so they can verify exact specifications and whether or not your Sequoia has any towing packages or features installed.
Towing Capacity of the 2019 Toyota Sequoia Compared to the Competition
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia has a maximum towing capacity of 7,400 pounds, which means it can tow a heavy trailer. That number is similar to that of its main competitors, the 2019 Chevy Tahoe and 2019 GMC Yukon XL.
Below are some vehicles similar to the Toyota Sequoia and their towing capacity:
2019 Chevy Suburban tow hitch: 6,300 pounds
2019 Chevy Tahoe Towing Capacity: 8,600 pounds
2019 Ford Expedition Towing Capacity: 9,300 pounds
2019 Dodge Durango Towing Capacity: 8,700 pounds
2019 GMC Yukon XL Towing Capacity: 8,100 pounds
Towing capacity Nissan Armada 2019: 8,500 pounds
We collect all the data presented here from the official websiteToyota Sequoia Owner's Manuals on the Toyota websiteand I have carefully checked all information for accuracy.
However, before towing your Toyota Sequoia, we recommend that you consult your vehicle's owner's manual.